Owners of cellular iPads are no longer able to activate a Cellular data plan for their tablet using the Apple SIM that came with the device; instead, they must either use a new physical SIM card or switch to an eSIM.
To enable consumers to immediately set up with cellular data plans from carriers without having to wait for a carrier’s actual SIM to be shipped for usage, Apple bundled an Apple SIM with its cellular iPads. But as of October 1, Apple SIM can no longer be utilised for that purpose at all.
According to a change made to an Apple support website, “Apple SIM technology will no longer be available for activating new cellular data plans on iPad” as of October 1, 2022. Users are advised to get information on activating a new plan with their smartphone from their carrier by contacting them.
The Apple SIM was first made available by Apple in 2014 as a physical nano-SIM that could be inserted into the SIM tray. Later, a SIM card slot and an Apple SIM were included into the device itself.
The following iPad models are affected:
- iPod Touch 5
- Mini 3 and Mini 4 iPads
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (first and second generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPhone 5 and 6
The company’s departure from Apple SIM follows an iPhone change that eliminated physical SIM cards as the latest development in the field. In the United States, its iPhone 14 line will exclusively accept eSIM; nevertheless, for the time being, other markets will continue to offer iPhones with traditional SIM trays.
Apple News and How To
- Apple iPad Pro 11 (2022) Battery FAQs – Fast, Wireless Charging, Capacity
- Apple iPad Pro 11 (2022) Camera FAQs – Night Mode, 4K Camera, OIS
- Apple iPad Pro 11 (2022) Performance FAQs – IR Blaster, Dual Apps
- Apple iPad Pro 11 (2022) Design FAQs – Waterproof, Gorilla Glass, Type-C
- Apple iPad Pro 11 (2022) Display FAQs- Auto Brightness, Always on Display
- How to prevent iMessage from falling back to SMS
- How to delete Instagram Account on iPhone 14 (iOS 16)
- How to disable Crash Detection on iPhone 14 Pro
- How to disable Crash Detection on iPhone 14
- How to Recover deleted photos on iPhone 14
- How to Check Blood Oxygen Levels on Apple Watch Ultra
- How to Use Depth App on Apple Watch Ultra
- Apple Users may need to be a youtube premium subscriber to watch 4K Videos
- How to Recover deleted photos on iPhone
- iPad’s Apple SIM can no longer be used to activate Cellular plans
- How to Change the Volume on the AirPods Pro 2
- No Apple touch ID on iPhone anytime soon
- How to Reset AirPods Max
- How to locate Lost AirPods Pro 2 with Precision Finding
- How to disable Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro